A Venison And Red Wine Casserole. A truly outstanding, and simple to prepare, Venison dish. A rich unctuous and warming Great British Game recipe. Couldn’t be easier, Diced venison, bacon lardons, onions, carrots, Red wine, stock and mushrooms. Simply stunning. The following are 1) A recipe version 2) A Youtube version.
VENISON & RED WINE CASSEROLE
1kg Venison Diced
150g Shallots – chopped
3 each Garlic cloves – crushed
40g Butter – unsalted
40g Plain Flour
25ml Olive oil
10g Fresh Sage (chopped) or 2g Dried Sage
250ml Stock – Beef stock is good
375ml Red Wine (use our Alianza Merlot)
150g Button Mushrooms – cleaned & cut as required
1. Heat the oil & butter in a large pan, cook the venison and crushed garlic for 6-7 minutes until lightly browning.
2. Add the chopped shallots and cook 1 minute more.
3. Add wine, reduce to a third of its original volume, stir in the flour then add the stock, stirring in well, then the sage. Bring to the boil and cover with a sheet of baking paper touching the liquid.
4. Cook in the oven (180oC) for 1 hour (check after 45 minutes).
5. Remove from the oven, carefully remove the baking paper, stir well, add the mushrooms and return to the oven for 45 – 60 minutes, until tender. Season to taste.
Great served with creamy parsnip mash (half potato and half parsnip, cream, butter and seasoning) or Brussel top mash (normal creamy mash with Brussel top leaves (cooked gently in a little butter and milled pepper) mixed in at the end.