Baklava Pancakes with Maple Syrup
Prep Time 5 minutes
Cook Time 15 minutes
Total Time 20 minutes
- Flour Mixture:
- 1 cup of all purpose flour
- 1 1/2 teaspoon of baking powder
- 1/2 teaspoon of baking soda
- pinch of salt
- Wet Mixture:
- 1 large egg
- 1 teaspoon of vanilla
- 3/4 cup of buttermilk (or yogurt)
- 2 Tablespoons of oil (or melted butter)
- 2 Tablespoons of sugar
- 1/2 teaspoon of orange zest
- 1/2 teaspoon of cinnamon
- 1/4 cup combined of crushed toasted pistachios , walnuts and almonds
- Canadian Maple Syrup for serving
- 1/2 cup of combined crushed toasted nuts for sprinkling
Preheat an electric griddle to medium low and spray (or swab) it with a thin layer of baking oil. Alternatively, preheat a non stick skillet over medium heat low heat and spray or swab a thin layer of oil on it.
In a large bowl, add the four mix ingredients and whisk them until all well combined.
In another bigger bowl, add all the wet mixture ingredients and whisk them well.
Add the flour mix into the wet mixture and using a spatula or even a wooden spoon, mix the pancake batter well until no more flour mixture is visible but the batter is still lumpy.
Take you 1/4 cup measuring cup and fill it a little over half way with batter and pour it on top of the hot griddle or skillet.
With the back of the 1/4 cup measuring cup, spread the pancake batter gently into a circular shape.
Let the pancakes cook for 1 minute before flipping them on the other side and let them cook for an extra minute or minute and a half (cooking times will depend on the size and thickness of your pancakes).
Stack your pancakes (if using smaller sizes), drizzle them with fresh Maple syrup and top the with plenty of nuts.